So I’m late to the party and National Pumpkin Day was two days ago. Coincidentally, I made this two days ago. I want to know, who comes up with these days like, National Taco Day, or National Pumpkin Day or National Pie Day?? It’s not that I have a problem with them, it’s actually the complete opposite, I wish there were more days like these so we could celebrate food more, my only question is, can someone please give me the heads up before they happen?
Funny enough, just yesterday I was at Starbucks ordering a pumpkin spice latte and I thought, I’ve gotta try my hand at this, not knowing at all that it was National Pumpkin Day. But instead of spicing it up, I decided to go with more of a spiking it up……enter the rum and coffee liqueur….and believe me, these were a game changer for this now adult beverage.
I have to say after all was said and done,I was more than happy with the finished product, plus this could not be easier to make. I took one sip and knew I’d be making this alot more down the road. It’s perfect for the upcoming holidays, with Halloween being right around the corner and Thanksgiving close behind.
Spice Rum Pumpkin Latte
Serves: 1 serving
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon spiced rum
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- ½ cup hot espresso or strong brewed coffee
- Whipped Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, stir and combine milk, pumpkin puree, sugar and pumpkin pie spice until mixture shows tiny bubbles around the edge of pan. Remove from heat and stir spiced rum, Kahlua and vanilla extract. Pour espresso or coffee into a large mug and add milk mixture. Optional: Top with whipped cream, caramel sauce and cinnamon.