It’s finally cold in So Cal….ok, not really cold but cool and I’ll take it!! I’m always ready right around Halloween and the beginning of November for this kind of weather. It helps usher in the holidays and makes me crave warm comfort food. I was definitely needing something like this yesterday so I decided to make one of my favorite soups.
Even though it may be cold out, I’m not one to stand over a hot stove and that’s why I opted for the slow cooker route. The recipe is one I’ve used before and it’s great, so I didn’t deviate too much from it, other than remove the things I don’t necessarily like. Best part about this recipe, there aren’t too many things to pick up, so gather the ingredients, drop’em in the slow cooker, set it and go about your day.
It’s amazing how such little effort can yield so much tastiness! I promise you will love this as much as I do.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 8 servings
- 1 pound shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- tortilla chips
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover, and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- **Recipe adapted from All Recipes http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89539/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup/